My Teaching Abilities & Skills
As my students have told me many times over the years, my greatest skill as a teacher is in providing explanations that are logical and easy to follow. I focus on creating a 'big picture' understanding that is then split into its component parts, each examined in detail, and I've found this to reach nearly all of my students, in both technology and math classes.
The other characteristic that defines my teaching is caring. As students communicated about their learning and my teaching to "Looking for Learning" consultants in a previous school, they said that I really cared about them and they felt comfortable asking for help both in and out of class. To me, teaching is about much more than the content to be 'covered.' It is about helping students develop into thoughtful, thinking, compassionate adults. If I've done that, then I've succeeded in touching lives.
I've taught quite a range of topics in my years. I've found that the courses I most enjoy have a hands-on component, like robotics, programming, and videography.
- Teaching: Computer Skills, AP Computer Science, Intro to Programming, Robotics, Advanced Robotics, Multimedia, Videography, Digital Image Editing, Productivity Suites, General Math, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Geometry Honors, Algebra II, IB SL Math Studies, IB SL Mathematics, IGCSE Maths Foundations, IGCSE Maths Extended, and IGCSE New Additional Maths
- Coaching: Robotics (Botball, National Robot Olympiad, World Robot Olympiad), Programming, Softball, MathCounts
- Clubs & Activities: Robotics, Python, silver jewelry creation, cooking, Flash animations, games, Student Council
Course/Club Information and Student Work:
Here are samples of what my students have done in the technology classes I've taught and on teams I've coached at the Academic Bridge Program and at the American School of Doha. Due to cultural sensitivities, there are only a few items I can show from my work with the students at the Academic Bridge Program.
- Microsoft Office Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook
- Adobe: Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Flash, InDesign, Photoshop, Muse
- Mac Software: GarageBand, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Photo Booth
- Programming Languages & Software:
- Java, C, RobotC, Python, NetBeans, Eclipse, JCreator
- Scratch, DrJava, Becker's Robots, KISS-C, Greenfoot, Alice, GameMaker, Pivot
- Lego Mindstorms, Tetrix, Botball (CBC and Link), Arduino